Posted: September 16th, 2023
For this unit’s entry in your writer’s journal, please reflect on the readings, discussions, and activities on “discourse community.” Select 2-4 prompts below, and answer them in a total of at least 300 words.
· What do you think, generally, about the concept of discourse community? Does it make sense to you? Why or why not?
· Had you encountered this concept before? When? Where? Why? How?
· What stood out to you in the readings you did this week about discourse community? What points/explanations/examples helped you “get it” as a reader?
· What stood out to you in our class discussions and activities this week about discourse community? What helped you understand the concept better?
· Do you encounter differing standards or expectations for communication in your different classes? Why do you think that is? How does the concept of discourse community help you understand those differences?
· What methods do you use to communicate OTHER than writing and speaking? How might those methods be connected to discourse community?
· Think of a time you encountered a brand-new discourse community. How did you learn the lingo, the genres, the methods, the goals? How long did it take?
· How confident are you that you could explain the concept of discourse community to another person right now? What would increase your confidence?
· What questions do you have about the concept of discourse community, at this point in the class?
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.